Welcome to my blog, hope you enjoy reading
RSS

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup and Biscuits


What is it about this time of year and a good hearty chicken soup? This is a relatively easy recipe, requires not to much work, and is delicious!  I make this every time I cook a whole chicken.

First things first, your chicken stock.  This is where the crockpot comes in.  I take my left over carcass, with all the left over meat and put it in the fridge.  This is real easy because I usually cook my whole chicken in the crockpot.  The next morning I add water so it is about 2/3 full (it is going to reduce down) and turn it on low. I let it go ALL day.  This is great to do before you leave for work.  But Crystal....I didn't cook a chicken the day before...grab some chicken legs from the freezer or fridge and throw them in the crockpot all day instead of a carcass...same results.  When you get home, or its that time of night for us stay at home folks, put your strainer in your soup pot and pour the entire contents from the crockpot in, pick the meat out and throw it in a bowl...toss the bones and other parts, add the meat to the stock...boom! Instant soup.  And the meat...oh man...so tender it will literally fall off the bones! Now we don't leave it there of course, you need some flavor!

Okay, here's my secret weapon! Farmhouse Long Grain & Wild Rice, herb and butter flavor.....ouch you got me....no crazy concoctions.....some carrots, some celery, a good dab of butter, salt and pepper.... simmer that all together for an hour or so and bing-bang-boom....delicious homemade chicken soup!  Now I know what you're thinking chicken NOODLE soup right....I boil some egg noodles and throw them in about 15 minutes before dinner.  I love to make this as a meal to take to family and friends in need...its so easy to make more or less according to how many you are feeding.

Okay the offical recipe:
Simmering away...looks yummy already!
  • *Chicken stock + the meat (as described above)
  • 2 boxes Farmhouse Long Grain & Wild Rice; Herb and Butter Flavor (or any other boxed rice with a flavor packet)
  • 2-3 carrots sliced
  • 2 stalks celery sliced
  • a big dab of butter
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • A pinch of granulated garlic
  • cooked egg noodles
Once stock is ready all the ingredients except the egg noodles (no one likes soggy noodles).  Simmer for at least one hour, so the flavors can meld together.  Just before serving add egg noodles.  Not to much though!  Voila! Serve with your favorite bread for sopping up the juices!  I love this biscuit recipe.  His directions are phenomenal, and they are delicious!  I also like to serve with home made french bread.  

Hope you enjoy


*If you absolutely do not want to make your own stock...you can buy it at the store, and some canned chicken meat.  I have done this before...it was still pretty good.

Reheating:
The noodles and rice soak up the broth, so add some water when you reheat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment