Welcome to my blog, hope you enjoy reading
RSS

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cranberry and Cherry Zucchini Bread Recipe



 
One of my all time fall favorites: Zucchini Bread!  This time of year, this is no shortage on zucchini.  Our church puts out a produce table for folks to bring their excess garden produce...it is always full of yellow squash and, you guessed, zucchini! Lately I have had quite  a sweet tooth...I blame the baby... So I wanted to add some more sweetness to it with out going to crazy.  First thought..chocolate chips.  I've added them before and it tastes amazing.  But it definitely takes the health value down a few notches sooooo....Cranberries and Cherries instead!  This started out as a Paula Dean recipe that I modified. Husband says I can never leave a recipe as it is.  Often this results in awesome discoveries...and others...we wont go there.  The combo of half whole wheat, half all purpose flour gives it a bit of a nutty taste...with out the nuts.  If you don't like nuts go with just all-purpose.


Recipe:
I know, that's one BIG zucchini, right!
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour 
  • 2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon (or maybe a bit more...depends on my mood)
  • 1 cup white sugar plus some to sprinkle on top
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries (I went half and half)
  • I cup oil (I use Saffola)
  • 4 eggs beaten
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 1/3 cup of water
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Pre-heat your oven to 350 F.
Assemble those dry ingredients (Not the cherries or cranberries) together and sift, or in my case I run a butter knife through it a few times.
Combine, in your mixer, your wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
Ready for the oven.
Add your dry and blend well, fold in cherries/ cranberries.

 Pour into two standard, well greased and floured (or spray on will do) bread pans.
Sprinkle some sugar on top for a nice crunchy topping. (my favorite part)
Bake for 1 hour and let that sweet aroma fill your house.  My mouth is usually watering towards the end.  Test it before you take it out, should come out clean.

Let stand about 10-15 minutes then pop out of pan onto a cooling rack.


I have found the best way to store it is to wrap it up tight with plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge.  It keeps its moisture this way.  But my favorite way to enjoy it is when it's still warm from the oven...oh sweet heavenly deliciousness! Honestly it never lasts the night in our house anyway.



0 comments:

Post a Comment